Wednesday 22 October 2008

Today at work I updated my blog :)

I am sitting at my desk at work and wondering if there is a better place to be at the moment. Under the duvet at home with Lopes is one place I would love to be. She is on half term, 2 whole weeks, and did not want me to go to work today. It’s getting cold so I have been drinking copious cups of tea and hot chocolate. I tend not to drink coffee as the caffeine is a real drug and makes me speak my mind more than usual. More drinks mean more visits to the bathroom and so I take my phone with me and surf the net and lately have been tempted to set the alarm and have a nap! Our bathrooms are quite salubrious which is very surprising and have full length doors, none of those western saloon type doors that makes it easy for people to sneak a peek or catch a whiff if you know what I mean!

Lopes is doing well at school but I have been told that the legendary lower lip has made a couple of appearances. You see, Lopes is a master sulker and shoots out her lower lip when she wants to promote a semblance of tears or simply does not want to do as she is told. Her teacher has mentioned that her participation in some things is entirely her choice and if she is further cajoled to participate, the lower lip comes out. I was tempted to cost the school on a per day basis but that won’t really help me. I did cost my university education on a per lecture basis as I was beginning to slide and miss lectures. My parents were paying overseas fees and here was I sleeping away their hard earned cash. Once I calculated the cost per lecture, I never missed one again. See where I got my love for numbers.

Talking about money, Lopes seems to think that anything can be bought with the money from her piggy bank. I am beginning to believe it as she manages to take money from her dad and myself and says she is keeping it for us. I have taken to raiding her piggybank for change to pay the bin wash man as I never seem to have the £2 coins handy. As I always seem to find money there, I am beginning to think she has a secret she needs to share with me. The Credit crunch would be sorted then by Lopes’ oinking piggy bank. She actually has 3 piggy banks so I will be keeping the other 2 as my pension fund.

Re: the Credit Crunch, my mum has taken to calling me with snippets of news she gathers on her DSTV channels. God help us with all the negative news. I refuse to believe that it is as bad as it is being painted. What rankles, however, is the call to cut back. I have always shopped clever and love my share of bargains and so far the only way I have found to cut back is to make sure the lights are turned off. I used to be quite bad with leaving lights on. I will not compromise on the heating and refuse to shiver and wear my woollies indoors.

I have, thanks to my crochet-mad friend Omara, resurrected my love of knitting. I started knitting a sweater about 18 years ago and sort of left it halfway done when I started University. Never had the heart to throw it away and can’t finish it as the pattern was for a size 12 and I am definitely not a size 12 top anymore. To think I thought I was big then! My first assignment is a scarf for Lopes and I will be posting my results here soon. My weight is beginning to creep back up but I am now slowly getting back in control. As I have stopped walking since I started driving and started eating foolishly since my mum came and left, the fat cells are in a conspiracy against me but I am getting back into the groove. Was never really a happy fatty.

I have discovered Facebook under my real life persona and have found so many of my old friends but very useless at making new friends. Don’t really see the point of having too many new friends. Anti-social me. What I don’t understand is why people feel the need to ask you to be one of their friends when you have nothing, except another friend, in common. People have been known to get offended if you do not accept them. Bullying on the internet. No I do not want to be your friend and I do not want to be anything more, no matter how cute my profile picture is. The same goes for Skype!

So on a jolly note, it’s 64 days to Christmas and 71 days till the New Year and I have nothing planned. Not sure where we will be, London or Lagos and just going with the flow. What I will not be doing this time around is my year end introspection. Send me all your plans and I just might tag along :) I do have a party to plan in December. Lopes will be 5 and she has been planning her party since her last one. We will be grooving to songs from High School Musical 1, 2 and maybe 3 as that comes out in the UK today. In case anyone is coming from America to London with space in their suitcase, please let me know. I have party things to order. I have been told that I get carried away with the party planning but I absolutely love it. I think I love it too much and it became very apparent when a mum with the girl in Lopes’ class suggested that we share the party as the girls’ birthdays are quite close. In my head, I was screaming “Don’t want to share, it’s my party!” Common sense prevailed and I picked up the toys I had thrown out of my pram and acted like I was an adult which was no fun.

Postscript

Okay this was typed over 3 hours, numerous spreadsheets have been analysed and I have made 2 trips to the bathroom and taken 2 phone calls. Thank God I am off work next week else I might just have quit. Bored, Bored, Bored. A cup of coffee might just push me over the edge. Off to make a brew. Over and Out

9 comments:

Naapali said...

Did not realize you were back at work. Congrats (I hope?)!

Re FB; it has indeed helped me reconnect with long lost buddies from secondary school, uni etc. I have made new ones too. The one that does irk (apart from friend of friend) is barely known acquaintance or co-worker. Not co-worker I am friendly with co-worker but just co-worker. I previously felt guilty ignoring them and had accepted such requests in the past. Now I ignore guilt free. I am beginning to review previously friended ones to decide if any merit or reason exists for continued FB association.

SOLOMONSYDELLE said...

lol @ Lopes lower lip making an "appearance".

I have refused to join FB with my real name. Now THAT is antisocial

Andrew F. Alalade said...

KML, sorry I have been off for ages. Just got a beautiful daughter some weeks ago. You need to send me journals of advice oooh. Now I have a good reason to be at Lope' Birthday jam!

Buttercup said...

1st time here..it was ur name that got me curious..lol..n im glad i came!

Lopes sounds so adorable..makes me want to go n make a baby now..lol..

Aww the high school musical theme is cute, the kids will love it!

Oh yes, facebook..i love it as much as i hate it!

Take care!

Anonymous said...

Hate the thought of facebook
Hate the pressure from friends to join

I can just about keep up with the great friends I have at the moment and have no desire to find new friends :-(

I am touched by, old friends that have found me through friends and family on face book :-)

like you I am sure people will be very offended if I dont accept requests.

p.s - keep one lopes piggy bank for her aty JD. Just tell her its for plastic surgery that I need to have for feeding her favourite boys booby milk as she calls it. LOL

Blessed Child said...

Thank you so much for dropping by my blog,I really appreciate it.I am doing very well,and all is well.

FB...uhmmm..I got into it when I found a few friends I had been looking for,for like 10 years!!!

laspapi said...

I enjoyed reading this...I ENJOYED reading this. Well done, you write easily. Regards to Lopes...Congratulations on the driving.

KemiMamaLopes said...

@Dr Naaps. I must sound like a layabout. Have been back at work, albeit part time, since Lopes was 8 months old. Not fun

@SSD. Good idea re: FB

@Andy. Many congratulations. I need your address.

@Buttercup. Thank you for dropping by. Lopes is very adorable even if I say so myself :)

@JD. Come on you know you want to be on facebook. Saw a pic of you there today!

@BC. Welcome back :)

@Laspapi. Thank you. Will see one of your plays one day.

KemiMamaLopes said...
This comment has been removed by the author.