Sunday 14 January 2007

My trip back home

We decided to go home to Nigeria as my brother in law was getting married and we had decided to go at least once a year so our daughter could get a feel for home. Boy, did she get a feel for home. So much space and attention, she has come back a right little madam.

We usually stay with my mum in Ibadan but the wedding was in Lagos and we stayed with my MIL. Lagos was such fun. I must admit that Ibadan is soooo boring and my mum was quite peeved as I spent Christmas and New Year in Lagos. Out went the traditional Christmas Roast with all the trimmings complete with Christmas Crackers and funny hats. This was replaced with Pounded Yam and Ogbono at a place called Da Grotto in VI. Yum. Decided to eat out as much as we could on the trip so we went to:

Roberts Café for Breakfast.
Da Grotto
Churassco (sp) Lovely barbecue buffet.
Pearl Gardens and was it Golden Gate Not sure, was a Chinese restaurant
Terra Kulture
Some Café place in the palms
M Bar or is it M Café in Galleria
Loads of Agege bread with Ikoyi Hotel Suya (The hotel is no longer there)


Next time we go, I might try some bukas. Did not try them this time as I did now want to spend must of my holidays in the loo. All that eating was not kind to my waistline, so I will be back on the low carb wagon.

Had a great time in Lagos and have never prayed so much in London! We had an army driver seconded to us for our trip and the power they still hold amazed me. Once we were driving in a convoy and the convoy was separated as we had to stop at a junction with traffic police. The army driver promptly leapt out of the leader car and came to direct traffic so we could catch up. The two police men at the junction were not amused but there was little they could do. On another occasion, we were going to queue for petrol as there was the usual shortage around Christmas. The driver drove in through the exit, went to the front of the queue and clapped twice to summon the attendants to sell to him. I had to hide my head for shame.

I am sure I have lost my train of thought, had to stop to put a last minute bid for an item on ebay which I won.

All in all, a great time was had by all and we intend to go as soon as the election fever wears off sometime in April/May. We were actually going to go back in February for my mum’s birthday but she said not to :( Any ideas of where to go in Lagos and Ibadan will be great.

3 comments:

Boorish Male said...

There are a lot of places worth going to in Lagos, I'll give you a brief run down of a few.

1)News Cafe:
At the Palms mall. Great food nice atmosphere great urbane crowd.

2) Soul Lounge:
Right Next to the News Cafe good food great decor, but the crowd does get a little 419ish at night.

3) Reeds:
Great restaurant and bar on Awolowo Road

4) Bambuddha:
Wonderful restaurant and Lounge bar.

5) The lounge bar at B'Jays hotel is up to any standard anywhere. It doesn't get as packed as the other places and it is really cosy.

6) Saipan:
The food isn't the best but the bar on a thursday has an amazing live band. It is a staple on thursdays.

7) Six Degrees North
A little fake, but great fun.

8)SUE Bar:
Was nice till the rough crowd infiltrated it, i would suggest going there in the daytime as opposed to late at night.

9) La Casa:
Grat place, good food, great crowd.

Hope this helps!!!!!

Boorish Male said...

Almost forgot to add Teppenyaki, and Bonzai.

KemiMamaLopes said...

Thanks. Might not get to Ibadan at this rate, so much to do in Lagos. Love your blog. Still reading...