Saturday 3 February 2007

Tolu's First Non Naija Party

Went to a birthday party today. James goes to the same nursery as my daughter and was 4; I bought a card for a 3 year old! I must have gone overboard on the presents though. Not wanting to appear a cheapskate and not wanting to buy loads, I hope I balanced out in the end.

Being a bit of a wallflower and determined that my daughter will have loads more social skills than I do, we went off in mingle mode. Tolu fell asleep in the car on the way there which was a bummer as she is usually grumpy when she wakes up. Serves her right for waking up at 2am this morning. I sent father and daughter downstairs so I could continue sleeping. Well after half a tub of ice cream last night, I needed my sleep.

Anyway, arrived only 5 minutes late, yippee, African time or should I say DH time did not prevail. And then I saw the difference between a Naija and non Naija party

Naija Party Venue: Large Hall
Non Naija Venue: Home

Naija Party Food
Jollof Rice, Fried Rice, meat, dodo, moinmoin
Load of drinks
Food for children usually an afterthought.
Cake, at least 3
Non Naija Food
Sandwiches
Crisps
Cake
Biscuits
Wine for adults

Naija Party Pack
Loads of sweeties and everything from a play buggy to bikes. Massive keeping up with the Jones here
Non Naija Party Pack
Piece of Cake
Some Sweeties
Bracelet

Having only had time for breakfast, I gulped down a glass of wine when I arrived for Dutch courage. Hmm. My daughter stuck to me for the first hour and then wandered off, grabbed the microphone from the entertainer and sang 2 verses of Baa Baa Black sheep. I thought there was only one. No wallflower here. As for me, I am a cheap drunk, can’t really recall all the small talk I made after only one glass of wine. Oh dear!

The Moral of the day, eat before you go to a pary, drink alcohol slowly and seriously consider a Non Naija party for Tolu’s next birthday

PS.
While getting ready for the party, the doorbell went and when I opened the door, the florist was standing there with a huge bunch of flowers. Ahh, I thought how nice. Unexpected flowers. And then she said, "Could you take this in for your neighbour, she is not answering the door" 1o seconds of bliss. Not bad eh?

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

I really love the non-naija parties. Easier to organize, and you spend less money. The only hard part is restricting the guests. Or making sure people don't get offended if they're not invited.

Last year for my kid's 5th birthday, I invited 3 families only. Menu was pizza, salad, baked chicked, cake, drinks. Party was done at home. It was a breeze. Absolutely loved it. Saved money. Kids had fun. And there was nice conversation between the guests. I think there was a total of 15 people (including children). But with a smaller party, your guests can get to know themselves a little bit better. Instead of critiqing the dresses of the other guests.

Toksboy said...

Flowers. Could you take this in for your neighbour? LOL. Your face must have been a picture!!

KemiMamaLopes said...

@Anon. Had an open house for Tolu's last birthday and was so embarrased when a friend who I had not told, not intentionally, turned up as she was in the area. She didn't know anything was happening and just came to drop a card. Felt bad. Parties hsould be fun for all involved but Naija parties are only enjoyed by the guests. Hosts usually need a holiday after the party.

@toks-boy. Thanks for dropping in. I will get flowers soon, even if I have to order them myself!
Love youg blog. I see you just came back from Naija. Lovely place, thing is I wish I had the longing to go back :(

suburbannaijamom said...

flowers incident: what a bummer.

as for birthday parties, i have sworn off them for a while. after the girls ist i swore not to have any more parties. it was a huge bash. the triplets were one! we rented a hall, had to cater to the kids, got them characters, face paitners, huge play bouncers, there was even someone set up outside with suya, roasted agbado, roasted plantians or should i call them grilled. then had to cater to the adults inside. onilu, food, i felt like i was going tru a wedding again. one good thing about it all was the girls gifts. i haven't really had to buy them anything in d last 2yrs cos they got soo much stuff. 4 their 2nd bday, took them n 2 other kids to chucky cheeses n called it a day. this yr, i am contemplating another chucky cheese affair. not sure. got abt a mth to decide. just want something small, n definately don't want something at the house cos of the good ole cleaning up u have after wards. i pretty much do that everyday as is.

Omara said...

Snap! Again. Kitan and I went to a non-naija party this weekend too! Only it was held by Naija people. It was cute but I don't think I can get away with serving snacks at any of my 'dos'.
Who was the uninvited guest?
Who did you think the flowers were for? Ha ha ha (I'm rolling with laughter)

Remi Fagbohun said...

Funny-
Because we have more non-naija friends than Naija, our lives are infinitely easier when it comes to birthdays.

I have only ever celebrated one, his 4th. I dont personally believe in having parties when the kids arent aware of it, we entertain all the time , so he has had a cake every year at his preschool surrounded by his friends. I vowed not to throw one until he was old enough to know what its all about...

Hence from the beginning of the year as his friends were having their parties he had been hammering it in our ears that he wanted a party...shebi I said he should ask abi?? Well here we go...

We decided on the little gym...he is EXTREMELY active, and has been there before , so we knew how much he loved the place. We ordered Pizza for the adukts (since the kids were all already catered for) and cooked some jollof rice for the Naijas amongst our friends...lets not forget the single ones too...

Araceli said...

Funny... the Naija and Non-naija Parties.

And funny...the "this flowers are not for you."

I will be a regular visitor.

Pilgrimage to Self said...

Hahahahaha!!! This really made me laugh. We experienced our first Non-Naija childrens party last year and afterwards my husband warned me seriously against dragging him to any more in the future. We were half starved by the time the party was over. You got it so spot on!!

KemiMamaLopes said...

@SNM. Parties outside the house are great re: the clearing up. As for the cleaning everyday, you could get a cleaner. I am waiting for my house to be clear enough so I can get one again :)

@Omara. Rolling with laughter, eh. You better book my flowers before you go to Portugal.

@Bluntremi. Great idea. They need to have fun at their parties too. Omara had one at a Farm which was great as there were animals etc. The adults got a food pack which was great. If there are going to be adults there, something more than wine abeg. At least I know now.

@Araceli. Thanks for stopping by. I will be getting some flowers even if I have to order them. Love your blog. About to start reading the book excerpt.

@PTS. Ha, see me replying to each comment :) We were always taught to eat before any party so we never rushed the food. I guess Naija parties spoilt us as we were always fed so I expected at least some nibbles. Ate in a semi drunken haze when I got home.

Demi said...

How can? It's not done! Totally unheard of. A nigerian not throwing a lavish party with rice and stew very plenty? No Yinka Ayefele to dance to and the adults game of dancing round the chair? No Makossa? Are you having a laugh? Re-think please, rethink!

Unknown said...

I have never been to a non naija party but thanks for the warning - I'll remember to eat a lil something before I set out.

I love Naija Parties - maybe cos the money for the party isnt coming from my pocket and all I have to do is show up and tuck into the fun?!?!!? LOL!!!