Thursday 3 January 2008

Happy New Year. Now let the madness commence


Ahh. Another year. We thank the good Lord for continued grace.


Had a great time over Christmas and New Year. Normal Christmas when I was growing up was the whole shebang. Roast Chicken, we hated turkey, leg of lamb/pork, potatoes, stuffing, gravy and brandy flamed Christmas pudding.

Since I got married, I learned that the whole roast dinner thing is not appreciated in some households and after the first wasted effort, I just ask my parents in law what they would like. So for Christmases past we have had pounded yam, ikokore, okra ogbono, efo egusi and the like. This Christmas we had pounded yam. Great time saver :)

Got to church late on New Year's Eve thanks to BabaLopes and was in grave danger of taking my anger into the new year. Had to sit in the overflow section but most people did not take it seriously and chatted throughout. Anyway, got over the annoyance quickly. Spent New Year's day with family eating orishirishi. Big trouble. My diet is shot to pieces and so have to start again. No better time than Janaury 1st or 4th or 10th....


The Madness of school assessment has started in earnest. God help me, is all I can say. Lopes is blissfully unaware and is taking it all in her stride. I am the one with manic insomnia at the moment. Even BabaLopes thinks I am a bit mad and that is saying something. Prayers for the prevention of my decline into panic induced madness are very much needed.

So this year, I will be making resolutions as much as I hate them and my only resolution is:


Don't sweat the small stuff.


I intend to laugh loads, stress less and ignore that which I have no control over. I might cease to be dependable and be a bit more frivolous. I will read more books as opposed to one chapter a year, I will make more time for myself and might even paint my fingernails. I will share the happiness with BabaLopes instead of being a grumpy cow and will buy Lopes less presents as she is beginning to be tad unappreciative of all she has. So let the good times roll.


Ps I got a new laptop from BabaLopes as my present. Considering we had decided not to do presents this year, it was a good thing I got him his coffee machine

5 comments:

ababoypart2 said...

Happy New Year. 1st time caller

Ms. Catwalq said...

laptop vs coffee machine. lol
Happy New Year jare
And I feel your xmas menu. Very authentic. I am sure Mary was swallowing iyan after bringing forth THE CHILD

Gbemi's Piece said...

Happy New Year! Good idea to ask your in-laws what they want during the holidays. No need spending all that time in the kitchen preparing meals that might not be appreciated. Love your resolutions!

Unknown said...

Happy New Year, Mama Lopes.

Only mums worry about schools and stuff. Daddy's dont - they just take it in their strides and we moms should learn to enter into God's rest and not fret huh? LOL!!

Naapali said...

Perhaps you should check this book out by Richard
Carlson, his book and life are an amazing tale about how life should be lived, and a good reminder for us all when we get caught up in the small stuff. Don't Sweat the Small Stuff--and it's all small stuff (Don't Sweat the Small Stuff Series)

"Don't Sweat the Small Stuff--and it's all small stuff"